Monday, June 26, 2006

Symbolic Renunciation for the Poor

I have given this article much careful thought. I feel that I should just be honest with you, instead of making up stories or excuses.

I just only learned that a thousand million people on our poor little planet live on one dollar a day. And two thousand million-- one out of three-- live on two dollars a day.

I am wrestling with these facts.

The pain is made more acute by the fact that, in this country, everyone lives in unrestrained luxury, completely without any global consciousness, without concern or compassion for others, completely without any regard for our poor sisters and brothers. Indeed, the average American rarely if ever allows them on the personal inner "screen" of the mind.

As a symbolic act of solidarity with my poor sisters and brothers, I have decided to take a tempporary moratorium against restaurant-eating. It is one of the most expensive and extravagant of American habits.

Food is one of those resources that come from a commonly-shared "pool" of resources. That is, if you take from that pool, no one else will ever be able to have what you have taken. It is, in many ways, the same reason that I am a vegetarian. This vow is not necessarily everlasting, but it is the course to take at this present moment.:)
*******

No comments: